Children in Nepal


Condition of Children in Nepal

Nepal is an agricultural country. More than 66 percent people depend on agriculture. Farmers are engaged in their field just half of the year. Rest of the time, they remain inactive. They need more manpower to work in the field. To fulfill their workforce, they give birth many children. The rural area women are very backward. They are only confined to household activities but not allowed to work outside. Only the father is the breadwinner in the family, the death or absence of whom affects the overall economic condition of the family. Mothers can not support the family. Under such circumstances, children are employed in some other people's houses which deprive them of receiving formal education.

When the children don't get proper love, affection and care from the parents, they look for other ways to survive. Consequently, they often resort to street for survival. They forget everything and extend their hands to get some food to be alive. But the little money given by some kind people is not enough for them to survive.

Almost all street children are addicted to glue sniffing because of hunger and influence of friends. About 95 percent of street children are using glue and it does not take much to introduce the habit to remaining 5 percent. It is said some street children use as many as 15 tubes a day (one tube of dendrite can be used four to five times) and many use it as a substitute for regular meals.

Child labor remains a major challenge for Nepalese society. Over a million Nepalese children are working as child labor in Nepal, with 127,000 involve in the worst forms. Children between the age of 5 and 14 years are working as laborers in the agriculture farms, tea garden, fruit fields, brick kilns, hotels and private households.

At least 40,000 children are bonded labors whereas 5,000 children are working and living on the streets. More than 8,000 have been orphaned. More than 40,000 children have been displaced due to the armed conflict between government and Maoist, which lasted for more then 10 years. Around 465 children died in the course of armed conflict


Home     About MFN     Founder Message     Projects     Children in Nepal     Get involved     Contact us

Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

Powered By: Web Creation Nepal